Organic Crib Mattresses
The Green Sheep is proud to carry Sleeptek organic mattresses, hand-crafted in Canada from the finest organic fibres.
For infants and toddlers, you have two styles of support to choose from: innerspring or natural rubber. Both are of exceptional quality and backed by a 10 year limited warranty.
Note: We will not be reordering this item, so this listing shows the last ones available.
Demo Model: We currently have one rubber crib mattress out of its packaging, but otherwise in perfect condition, available at 20% off the regular price (includes warranty).
- Wrapped in layers of organic wool, which act as a natural flame retardant
- Pure organic wool also acts as a natural dust mite repellent
- Cover fabric is 8 oz 100% G.O.T.S Certified Organic Cotton
- Naturally antibacterial, hypoallergenic, and resistant to moisture build up
- Multilayered pad construction prevents padding migration and maximizes longevity
- Mattresses can be used on both sides for longevity
- Standard crib mattress size, 28" x 52"
- Mattresses should be placed on a wood slat base or breathable firm base
- It is recommended to protect your organic mattress with a wool mattress pad.
- 10 year limited warranty
- Manufactured in Canada.
Organic Crib Mattress with Innersprings:
The Meuse Organic Innerspring Crib Mattress is made with traditional untreated coils and padded with layers of organic wool felt. This mattress features an organic cotton quilted top that can be flipped and used on both sides. It is ideal for all types of cribs.
- 252 - 15 gauge Bonnell style coils
- The coils have not been treated with chemicals or any oils
- Filled with carded 100% natural wool felt padding (1500g/sq m)
- Coil construction manufactured in the United-States.
The Meuse Organic Rubber Crib Mattress is made with a four-inch firm organic rubber core that is wrapped in organic wool and cotton. This mattress features an organic cotton quilted top and can be flipped and used on both sides.
- 4 inch firm core of pure organic rubber, G.O.L.S & Eco-Institute Certified for purity
- Extremely durable, flexible and resilient, the mattress contours to your child's body
Organic Wool Mattress Protector:
The Meuse Baby Wool Protector is a necessity for the Meuse mattress. It protects the mattress against accidents and ensures that your children sleep in a dry environment. Wool is water-resistant (not water-proof), and can also absorb a certain amount of moisture. It therefore acts as a great barrier for light leaking from diapers, drool, spit-up or breast milk.
- This 28" x 52" mattress protector is made from a single layer of soft, pure, organic wool.
- Made in Ontario, Canada.
- Machine wash cold, hang to dry. In most cases, a simple airing will be sufficient.
Why choose an organic mattress for your baby?
All conventional mattresses are, by law, treated with flame-retardant chemicals. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are typically used, even though PBDE exposure is linked to numerous adverse health effects. Less toxic flame-retardants are sometimes used, but they are still toxic. Pure wool is naturally flame resistant, and can be used instead of chemicals to satisfy the fire safety laws.
Conventional mattresses may also contain materials such as foam, which may contain chemical catalysts, surfactants, emulsifiers, pigments, formaldehyde, benzene, and toluene, and can off-gas further chemicals.
Most crib mattresses are wrapped in vinyl. Vinyl (polyvinyl chloride, PVC) is considered to be one of the most toxic and environmentally unfriendly plastics known. Since PVC is a hard plastic, phthalates are added to plasticize it. It is now widely known that phthalates are endocrine disruptors associated with an array of health issues. Other common additives to PVC include lead, cadmium and various biocides. A vinyl covered mattress can leach a variety of contaminants into the air surrounding it.
We spend so much of our time sleeping, that it is important to have a clean sleeping environment. Babies are especially vulnerable to pollutants in their immediate environment.